Saturday, March 16, 2013

Big Finish - Blood of the Daleks

Two recent sale offerings from Big Finish - Blood of the Daleks parts 1 and 2, written by Steve Lyons and directed by Nicholas Briggs.

 

A two part story which introduces the character of Lucie Miller and throws her straight into the fray with her sudden appearance in the Tardis. The Time Lords are interfering with the Eighth Doctor's life and have sent him a companion whose mission is to get him involved in events on the planet of Red Rocket Rising where a mad scientist is tampering with Dalek technology.

These adventures were clearly written for radio broadcast on BBC radio 7 as it then was (BBC 4 extra now). They are a perfect introduction to the Eighth Doctor and Lucie, and they have a suitably impressive cast to deliver the goods. I confess that after listening to so many four part stories recently I find that the rhythm of these shorter stories is slightly difficult to get used to. However they are very entertaining and listening to them one straight after the other did help.

I can't keep going on about how good Paul McGann and Sheridan Smith are (but they are), they just seem like natural occupants of the Tardis and their slightly spiky relationship is great value. Meanwhile Kenneth Cranham, Anita Dobson and Hayley Atwell are all splendid and Nicholas Briggs does his usual marvellous job as the voices of the Daleks and their mutant brethren.

I think that taken together this adventure gets a 3.5 out of 5 star rating from me. Obviously I have listened to the Luice Miller saga in completely the wrong order, Starting with the end of her character arc and then jumping all the way back to the beginning. I'm not sure if I have the time or money to explore more of her stories. I still have 14 more Big Finish dramas waiting for me to get through, and goodness knows what I will pick up at next week's Big Finish Day. I think a Fifth Doctor adventure is next on the list. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment