Sunday, October 2, 2011

Day 21 - favourite theme music

The association of Gerry Anderson with the composer Barry Gray produced the theme tunes to much of my childhood. I can pick from Fireball XL5, Stingray, Joe 90, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons and several others, but as I hinted yesterday there is only one choice for my favourite theme music. I'm not sure if it is the best piece of music from all of British science fiction television, but it is the most evocative for me. Once the countdown and the explosions are over the music that follows was what I heard when I slid down our garden slide backwards imagining I was on my way into Thunderbird 1. It still sends a tingle down my spine. I have it on my phone and have been known to start it playing as I climb into my car, which is probably more like Alan Partridge than Alan Tracy but there you go.



1 comment:

  1. Nah. Sorry, but although it's rousing enough, it's certainly not my favourite. To be fair though, so many of the Anderson shows had great themes picking a favourite would be tough. Plus I have a real love for the ITC themes of the 60s and 70s too...

    ReplyDelete