Monday, October 31, 2011

Day 5 - Best Sci-Fi Hero

So here's a moment of insight and reflection. I wouldn't be very good in a war, and in particular I would have been useless in the trenches. I don't know how they ever went over the top. There is that dreadful and terribly moving ending to Blackadder goes Forth when they all realise that the bluster is done with and they are really going to have to charge into the face of the enemy machine guns. I would have been a blubbering wreck laying in the mud.

But having said all that I think I might have been moved to go over the top by Mal Reynold's St Crispin's day speech in Serenity. Reynolds is a great science fiction hero. I prefer him to Han Solo because Reynolds has the better scripts. He's funny, he's smart and he nearly always has a plan. Even though he is basically a space pirate he is a great leader and stands up for the little people, the weak, the tired and the poor.

Captain Malcolm Reynolds only got one movie but he is the business.



No comments:

Post a Comment